Tuesday, March 22, 2011

HubCamp

A couple of weeks ago, I went to HubCamp. Was it worth it? Absolutely!

Although I feel the class was intended for beginners, rather than experienced article writers, I was surprised to see that some of the people there who had written many (sometimes hundreds) of hubs were asking what I considered basic questions. The thing I found most useful was the networking with other writers, and and ways in which we could combine strategies to promote others' work, as well as getting to know two of the HubPages staff members.

The other thing I found useful was their suggestions about titles. I have been experimenting with tweaking my titles to be longer (I tend to be rather terse by nature).

The swag was nice, too -- a moleskine-type notebook with the HubPages logo and a T-shirt (which unfortunately, was not 100% cotton and I had to give it away).

The staffers also explained the April writing contest (where I will be republishing some of my suddenly-deleted eHow articles), and the HubPages changes (more about this later, as I am exhausted from complying with the new rules). And best of all, HubCamp is free, so if you have a HubCamp coming near to you, definitely try to attend it!

Why is HubPages giving free training to its writers? Simple enough. Like all revenue-sharing sites, when you make money, they make money. The more money you make, the more money they make. So revenue-sharing sites want you to succeed, and they'll do what it takes on their end to improve ad placement, attract better ads, and the like. Admins at most sites are working behind the scenes all the time, so as a writer for one of these sites, it's a good idea to remain on friendly terms with the admins. It's not an us-versus-them situation, but rather, "we're all in this together."

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. Don't waste your time spamming, because you'll also be wasting my time deleting your comment. Thank you.